Week 4: Celebrating a Birthday and a Milestone
So this is week 4 of the The Million Word Adventure. Wow. I have learned a lot about how much I have let interfere with the writing the last few years.
- When you show up to the office, work gets done (duh, but I always need reminders of this one)
- Sometimes when I make myself write a scene I’m not sure of, something wonderful happens and it turns out to be the key to the whole book (turns out the identity theft crime in License to Shop is absolutely perfect for a university town, in multiple ways).
- When one story starts to stall, there’s always another one waiting in the wings to work on.
- A little research goes a long way. I learned the color of silkworm eggs, how the FBI handles identity theft, and the nutshell history of human warfare, and used what I learned to deepen/improve three different stories.
- I drink too much coffee.
- It takes time to create a new habit, especially a “write 10,000 words a day” habit.
Monday was my birthday, and the first day of tutoring for the semester, so I did a little less writing than a typical Monday.… Read the rest